Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have had my budgie 1/2 years it always used to chirp

Customer Question

I have had my budgie for 2 1/2 years it always used to chirp and very alert but recently he has gone very quiet and not chirping much, also be seems to be sleeping more often during the day. He is eating his food as normal and drinking as normal, his droppings are solid with no sign of diarrhoea. Please can you help as getting worried about him. Love him to pieces so don't want anything to happen to him. Just wanted to know also whether a log burner would affect him as we have just had one installed just before Christmas.
Rosemary Stant.
email. ***@******.***
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Rosemary, it's important to note that once a budgie acts ill they're quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. George's symptoms of lethargy and somnolence (sleeppiness) are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder.An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of George's choana - the slit between his oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken. Whole body X-rays can be quite helpful as well. Until he can be attended to, please heat up his environment to 29.4C by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. If he appears weakened remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has George's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sadly it all came to late as my budgie has passed away. I did my best but it was not to be. He was well loved.
My condolences for your loss of George. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.