Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Can you give a pet hedgehog anti histamine

Customer Question

can you give a pet hedgehog anti histamine
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.In regards ***** ***** question, we can treat hedgehogs with very small doses of antihistamines when they have skin irritation. Typically we will use a low dose of OTC Piriton/Chlorphenamine. Specifically, we can give 1 milligram per kilogram of her body weight every 12 to 24 hours. If she continues to be itchy despite that, then we'd want her to be checked by her vet as steroids may be required for severe irritation. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- **Please do make sure to rate my answer, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). IF you have any lingering questions, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)