Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a shit zu who recently had one of his anal gland

Customer Question

Hi I have a shit zu who recently had one of his anal gland released and was put on antibiotics however last night he started scratching n licking his Anus again. I don't want it to become infected is there anything I can do to help him as his vets aren't open
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now dogs cannot really cause infection of the anal gland itself by self-trauma since the gland is inside the colon. That said, we don't want him to cause secondary infection of the skin around that area. Therefore, at this point, we'd need to think about blocking his access to this area by using an e-collar to prevent licking or putting a pair of small boxer shorts (turned backwards so there is a hole for the tail) on him. As well, to reduce skin infection risk, we can bathe the irritated area with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, salt water) 2-3 times daily. Afterwards, we can pat the are dry and apply an OTC hydrocortisone cream to reduce inflammation and itchiness for him. If we do that through the weekend, we can at least keep him comfortable until his vet can recheck that gland and make sure there isn't any recurrence of that recent infection. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- **Please do make sure to rate my answer, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). IF you have any lingering questions, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)