Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I am getting a male cocker spaniel puppy on Saturday at 8 weeks

I am getting a male cocker spaniel puppy on Saturday at 8 weeks old. I'm bringing him home and we have a 4 year old cavalier King Charles male. There's going to be around a day and a half until the puppy gets his first inoculation. My misses forgot to get mario(cav King Charles) his yearly booster and he's getting it tomorrow now. He rarely has contact with other dogs and is fit and healthy. Is there any risk to the cocker with them socialising before his first vaccination on Monday morning?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Even though Mario is overdue for his booster, if he has had previous ones, he will have a degree of immunity to the viruses and bacteria covered by the vaccine. It doesn't revert back to zero and we often don't worry as long as the lapse isn't >18 months (and if it were it would just that he'd need to restart vaccinations as a pup himself). More importantly, if he is healthy without any clinical signs of those infectious agents (parvo, distemper, Parainfluenza, lepto or adenovirus), then he would be considered a low risk exposure for Deacon and you can choose to have them both in the same environment and meet if you wished too prior to the vaccine. And I would note that there isn't really a reason to not introduce them before Monday, since Deacon actually won't be at full immunity from his vaccinations until 2 weeks after the 2nd one. Therefore, as Mario is a low risk exposure, you can introduce them at this stage. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )