Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dwarf hamster suddenly has balance issues and falls

Customer Question

Hi , my dwarf hamster suddenly has balance issues and falls to the right and is generally unsteady on his feet. Anything we can do? Regards KM
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has he had these signs?Can you confirm that he has had no access to toxins?Any chance of a fall or head trauma?Does he circle to one side or have a head tilt?How is his appetite, thirst, stools, and breathing rate? Any changes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr
Symptoms about 1 week
No toxins
Fall unlikely
Head tilts and circles yes
Appetite seems ok
Breathing seems ok
Falls over to the right also
Thoughts / diagnosis?
Thx
KM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Dr
Only fall possibility from top of plastic housing in cage onto sawdust floor.. About 6 inches
Hamster 18 month old
KM
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,Based on the signs your lad is showing, we do have a few concerns. Specifically to see falling to the right alongside a head tilt and circling raises worries of brain and/or middle ear based issues. If he has fallen, brain bleeds and soft tissue inflammation would be real concerns here. Otherwise, we'd have to be wary of middle ear or brain based infections. As well, we can also see these signs with brain based cysts or masses; always a concern in these short lived species.With this all in mind, if he hasn't show any improvement in a week's time (where a brain bleed could abate and signs reduce), then this is a situation where we'd really want to try to treat the treatable for him. Therefore, we'd want to have his local vet perform a neurological examination but potentially start him on antibiotics (to address the infection risks) and a hamster safe anti-inflammatory (to reduce inflammation from all of the above). These would tackle the bulk of our concerns and give us the best chance to settle this and get your wee one moving normally again.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- **I would be very grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)