Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Doctor I trust you're well.. Please I wondered

Customer Question

Hello Doctor
I trust you're well..
Please I wondered if you could help me...
My seven year old female chocolate Labrador has a sort of infection of the eyes.. they're inflamed and watery eyes... she squints to see.. I have no idea whether she struck them out on her walk this morning.. or whether she has a virus. I don't see her trying to scratch them.. but I am worried for the redness and involuntary tears.. what do you think is the problem?
Many thanks.
Sincerely *****
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Mrs. Fenney, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Primary bacterial infections of the eyes are very uncommon in dogs. If a bacterial infection is identified I'll usually find an underlying problem such as a corneal abrasion or ulcer or perhaps a chemical burn from shampoo or a dip that has gotten into the eyes. Viral infection is possible but unlikely if you're not seeing other upper respiratory signs such as sneezing, coughing, or nasal discharge. An irritant or allergic conjunctitivis is most likely when both eyes are affected. For now you can wash out Brandy's eyes with copious amounts of saline or tap water but it's most important that eyes be attended to promptly by Brandy's vet. Eyes can "go south" in a hurry and only an exam "close up and personal" can clarify the etiology of Brandy's ocular inflammation, epiphora (excessive tears), and blepherospasm (squinting). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr SalkinThank you for your kind response.You have just restored my faith in human kind, since I felt like my question was already answered by a colleague of yours - which left me disappointed. However, in retrospect, I was so alarmed that I panicked and couldn't see reason; and might have previously responded harshly.
Furthermore, Dr Rebecca did point out Brandy might have scratched her corneas and may need antibiotics etc. She was absolutely right.. because there is no sneezing, coughing or nasal discharge.. Therefore, I do believe Dr Rebecca's response, together with yours; I can now appreciate Brandy's eye problem. We have made an appointment to see our vet tomorrow. Meanwhile, I have applied the cold compresses as she suggested and administered a few drops of Visine in her eyes.. I've noticed the redness is gone (which is to be expected); however, she still squints and is tearing, albeit not as bad as before.. She may need antibiotics -is right.Thank you Dr Salkin and my thanks to Dr Rebecca.. Much appreciated.From Brandy & I.. We say thanks very much. God bless you.Sincerely *****
England, U.K.
You're quite welcome. I wasn't aware that my colleague had already responded to you. I'm not supposed to answer a duplicate question but perhaps the site won't slap my wrist too hard! One quibble, however...a decongestant-containing ophthalmic such as Visine is contraindicated because it can reduce tear production and by "hiding the redness" mask the severity of the underlying problem. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr SalkinGosh! I sure hope I didn't get you into trouble! That surely wasn't my intention.Re Visine.. Hmmm... Will keep a close eye as I'm sure the redness removal drops are a temporary solution.I've noticed when I've applied the cold compresses, albeit gently; she winces under her breath.. so she might have scratched her eye chasing squirrels and mole rats in the bushes. We'll see what the vet says upon close inspection.Thanks again for your help Dr Salkin! Much appreciated. ­čśŐRegards *****
It's my pleasure. I hope to hear from you after Brandy's vet visit with an update. No need to reply at this time. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's ok Dr Salkin.. I understand.
You know what's interesting? Brandy couldn't get to see our vet's this evening, so she'll see him first thing tomorrow morning. It appears the vets were quite busy today, and since they don't take emergencies - by appointment only - we figured we don't have a choice but wait. Meanwhile, my husband went to a pet shop and picked up an over-the-counter eye wash for dogs. I'm reluctant to try it, but I'm monitoring her after each cold compress.. Her eyes are just almost tightly shut now, which isn't good to say the least. She also can't face bright lights; so my house is almost in darkness except for a lamp in the living room.. but she's asleep in her bed in the dark. Poor thing.. She has that pitiful look on her face.. but her appetite is unaffected though! Ha!
My husband said he never let her off the leash once when he walked her this morning and evening.. It's a mystery. It's certainly not an aerosol spray nor shampoo..
Oh by the way Dr Salkin, I saw you on Twitter. . Well.. so now we wait. Again.. Thanks for your advice and support.
It is a mystery. The eye wash may be OK. Let me know what the ingredients are. Nothing stops a Lab from eating! I'm on Twitter? I've never even opened up the Twitter site. Now that's a mystery, too!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Purified water, sodium chloride, stabiliser 339 and 385, methyl sulfonyl methane.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are certainly on Twitter via the Just Answer site. There's your profile complete with photo etc. Glad I mentioned it to you first as I had considered following you.
Ah! It's just fancy saline - salt water. It won't be harmful. Thank you. ***** have to figure out how to find me. I'm not privy to the customers' pages. Wish me luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've attached the Twitter image for you to look at. I think you might be under the Just Answer umbrella.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks doc I'm relieved!
Will go wash her eyes now. Hopefully it'll help.Thanks again! God bless!
Thank you! I opened an account and couldn't find me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here you are for sure.. Looks like it was set up back in 2014. See attached.
I was expert of the month? Someone should have told me. I would have celebrated!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr SalkinHow are you? Just read your message.. Had my first guffaw of the day! ­čśćBrandy has seen our vet's today.
She has the luminous yellow dye -and thank heavens! No lesions on her cornea.
She also had a flea test since she had been scratching vigorously. No fleas. No bacterial infection. However, the vet noticed her eyes are almost shut tight and streaming, and noticed her scratching her chin, then concluded she has an allergy to pollen i.e. Hay fever! ­čĄöWe confessed we washed her eyes with an over the counter saline solution for dogs last evening and kept on with the cold compresses. The vet thanked us for that. I've used an entire roll of disposable cloths for the compresses.
Vet prescribed antihistamines and steroidal eye drops which we have to administer three times a day for five days.
So that's all Dr Salkin..
I appreciate your interest in our Brandy. Poor thing. Thank you ever so much.I hope you and your family - and all your pets are all well.Ps: I'm currently following JustAnswer on Twitter. I'm under a fake name as LizzieM
@_sophistique_ ­čśČThank you once again.From The Fenneys including Brandy.
Kind regards & God bless.
Thank you for the update, LissieM! I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.