Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Brown labrador, 12 years old. having great difficulty trying

brown labrador, 12 years old. having great difficulty trying to urinate. stands there trying to pee, takes ages before he does it. eyes are very pinkish. drinks heavily. when he does pee its large amounts. on odd occasions traces of blood. could it be systitis?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Is he drinking more than usual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
been going on for several years.
yes he is.
he is eating urinary s/o dog food, [royal canin] for last 4 days. they think its crystals. knowone able to help so far
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Was he seen by a veterinarian recently for this problem? If so, did they do any testing like xrays or ultrasound, urinalysis, etc.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I am a bit confused, who gave you the s/o food?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only urine test, said slightly high crystals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bought on line
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Is he on any other medication?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Is he neutered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no he is notneutered
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the symptoms that you are describing in your dog could be related to many different medical conditions. Can it be cysitis? Yes. Other causes are: Infections, prostate disease, bladder stones, tumors of the bladder, etc. to name a few causes. If your vet did a urinalyisis and saw struvite crystals in the urine this places stones high on the list of possible causes. It is also important to remember that very often struvite crystals are formed secondary to infections. So, I would recommend you phone your veterinarian and discuss with your vet about either starting him on oral antibiotics in addition to the new diet. Or, they can do a urine culture & sensitive to rule out an infection. Finally, if after starting him on oral antibiotics and changing the diet you don't see improvement the next step is doing some testing like xrays or ultrasound to rule out the above mentioned diseases (prostate, tumors, etc.). Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!