Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

What do I do about my budgies bleeding head?

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now if your little one is bleeding, we need to tread with care. As I am sure you can appreciate, Budgies have a very small blood volume. Therefore, any loss can be serious.With this in mind, we need to act fast. If there is an active bleed, we need to apply pressure for at least 15 minutes to help stop the bleed. As well, we can use OTC styptic powder (from the pet store, often used to stop bleeds in dog nails), corn flour or even plain flour. All help give the platelets a matrix to help clot the bleed.Otherwise, if he has lost quite a bit, the bleed won't stop, or you cannot get ahold of the above quickly; then we need to have him seen urgently. His vet will be able to stop the bleed using styptic powder or may need to ligate or cauterize the vessels. And the sooner we stop this bleed the better your wee one's chances are.Finally, just to note, some veterinary practices in our country have office hours today. As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get him seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/ ) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get him checked out sooner then there are options to have him seen today too. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- **I would be very grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)