Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I feed my hens mixed corn e.g. wheat, maize, sunflower seeds,

I feed my hens mixed corn e.g. wheat, maize, sunflower seeds, soya oil, limestone flour and molasses. Is this too rich for them? They get a lot of sour crop. They have fresh wood shavings on their shelves every day and they live in hygienic conditions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. To answer you directly, "I can't know". When a commercial balanced feed doesn't constitute the bulk of a chicken's diet, the nutritional value of what they're eating has to be determined by a veterinary nutritionist - an expensive and unnecessary process. If you're having too much sour crop appear it would be prudent to eliminate all "extras", feed a commercial balanced feed and allow free-ranging unless there's "long, lush, springy" grass available in that field. Please see here: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.htmlNone of the ingredients you mentioned are harmful and may turn out to be an excellent mix for your hens. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.