Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Our miniature Yorkshire terrier is wrong years old and is stretching

Customer Question

Our miniature Yorkshire terrier is wrong years old and is stretching out with bottom in the air. She appears to want to vomit, however she is bringing up white thick mucus and is shaking. Our vet is now closed, can you advise please.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Is she posturing like this (example)?Can she keep water down?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, distended, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants,chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she is doing exactly as your example. She seems to be keeping water down and her abdomin is tender. Dee is now 15 years old and does not play with toys, her gums look grey in colour.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Oh dear,If Dee's gums are grey, then I am quite worried about her. This is because that coupled with her posturing raise real worries of severe abdominal discomfort and an ongoing issue that could be compromising her circulation in the abdomen. So, while we'd have to be wary of severe gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, or ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items); we'd also have to be concerned of enlarged organs or masses in the abdomen compressing her gut. Therefore, with her gums being discoloured and with her being sore enough that she is telling us so clearly, we’d really want to think about having her seen urgently. That way the local vet can pinpoint which issue is present, get her onto some injectable gut safe pain relief, and address this for her. That way we can get her comfortable and on the road to recovery as quickly as possible. And I do have to say that if Dee were my patient, I would want to see her right away. Overall, your lass is telling us that her belly is painful. Since she is vomiting as well, we’d be most wary of the above issues for her. And with this gum discoloration and with her being so sore, it’d be ideal to have her seen at this stage. That way we can get to the root of this and give her the best chance of overcoming this and recovering. Finally, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get her seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/ ) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get her checked out sooner then there are options to have her seen today too.Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.Best wishes for Dee & yourself,Dr. B.