Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My puppy eats his own poo and my other dogs poo please hel

My puppy eats his own poo and my other dogs poo please help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now this is not an uncommon behavior in young dogs and one we want to nip in the bud as quickly as possible.To start, we will need to focus on his eating his own stool and then work on his eating other dogs' stool. To start, we need to address this behavior at home and in your yard. To do so, you will want to make sure that we are removing all feces from the yard before allowing him out. To facilitate this, it can help to train him to use one area that he is only allowed access to when it is time to toilet. If he is keen to eat feces just after passing, then we'd want to be on hand (even consider having him on the leash at this stage) to remove it without excitement (since yelling, rushing for the feces, and excitement can confuse dogs a dog into thinking it is a game and make them go for the feces even quicker). As well, at this stage, while on walks you may find use of a basket muzzle (example @ http://www.mypoochiesparadise.com/web_images/basket_muzzle_web.jpg) can help reduce his ability to eat other dogs feces as we are working on retraining him about this.Otherwise, while working to reduce his access to feces, we also want to make the feces he is in contact with is not palatable. To do so, you can sprinkle unpleasant tasting items (ie black pepper, crushed hot pepper, Tabasco or Bitter Apple spray, etc). This will help establish a negative taste relationship for feces with him and deter the behavior. Further to this, here are also a range of OTC preparations at the pet store that can be mixed into food (or pineapple juice can be given) to lead to making the feces non-palatable and reduce his need to ingest any right after he has passed it. And if we teach him his stool isn't worth eating because it doesn't taste nice, this will help him reach the same conclusion about stool rom other dogs.While taking the above prevention and deterrent steps, it would also be beneficial to work with Bobby to recall (e.g., come) on command. That way you can always call him away when you see him heading towards feces and prevent the behavior. And once you have your recall command perfected, the basket muzzle could be removed during walks since you would be able to rely on his obedience to prevent him eating feces.Overall, this behavior is very common in dogs Bobby’s age. Therefore, we want to reduce his access to feces, use deterrants to prevent him wanting to eat feces, and using a basket muzzles on walk if need be until you have him trained to defer to your wishes before eating feces. This will take some work and time, but the resulting retraining will make you both happier with one another. All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )