Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat had a kitten at 9.30 pm Wednesday, it was very limp

Customer Question

My cat had a kitten at 9.30 pm Wednesday, it was very limp when it was born, and she was more interested in the afterbirth than the kitten. I had to rub it and keep it warm as it was getting quite cold she did eventually start licking it, and I had to help it find it test to suckle. After a couple of hours it got the hang of it and was hanging in like a leach, and it darting up lovely! She's eating, been the toilet even been in the garden for a look around. Very happy. I've felt her tummy yesterday and to my surprise felt another kitten moving!!! She not distressed in fact she's curled up purring with the kitten very content, and shows no signs of labour. I know they can delay labour, but is this normal?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. No, Milly would be diagnosed with dystochia (difficult birth). A normal parturition can take greater than 24 hours but the median parturition length is ~ 8 hours with a range of 4- 42 hours. Most vets will recommend a caesarian delivery and then spaying Milly. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.