Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My chihuahua has been hiding under the bedclothes few days. He gets up about once a

Customer Question

My chihuahua has been hiding under the bedclothes for a few days. He gets up about once a day to eat and doesn't seem to have any physical problems but is behaving generally unwell, cowering etc. He still wants to go for walks.....
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I have advanced training in canine behavior and have seen Chihuahuas who prefer to recluse themselves in that manner. They continue to eat and will interact socially when prompted but when left alone will return to a quiet and secluded area. My last Chihuahua patient would come downstairs to eat, mingle with the other dogs and caretakers, run outside to do his business and spend time with the other dogs but as soon as all came inside would run up the stairs to the bedroom closet where it would remain until prompted once again to interact. Having related the above, I do need to consider that an abrupt change in behavior in Tadpole - reclusiveness in this case - is reason for concern but without supporting evidence in the form of abnormal symptoms, I'm necessarily constrained to tell you why he has become reclusive. You can continue to "watchful wait" to see if anything untoward arises or you can proactively have Tadpole's vet perform a thorough physical exam on Tadpole including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.