Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My budgie died recently two nights previously i accidently

my budgie died recently two nights previously i accidently fell into cage when the cage was covered she got an awful fright i wonder if this is what caused it,she was only 10 monts old and fit as a fiddle as far as i could see ,she just dropped off her perch and died, i wonder if she coul have broken her neck as her head was very floppy
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. First, I am very sorry to hear about Loco's passing.In regards ***** ***** question, it was likely the shock that caused her to pass away. Birds are extremely sensitive to stress (they can even die with handling when visiting the vet) and sudden frights causing essentially heart attacks are not uncommon. Furthermore, breaking a neck does take a significant amount of direct force and wouldn't have likely happened with an impact to the cage alone. (And just to note the body and neck are often floppy just after passing before rigor mortis starts). So, this was more likely due to the heart being stressed by that sudden shock in this case. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )