Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285

Pet corn snake has escaped we live in the country feilds and

Customer Question

pet corn snake has escaped we live in the country feilds and wild gorse what will happen to it.we cannot find it.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech fro 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.How old was the snake?What type of weather do you have there?Are there a lot of small animals in the area like field mice and small birds?Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the snake was approx 5 years of age.cold in winter but its now beginig spring so its warming 11 - 15 c. yes mice voles and small birds.very good cover un cultivated hills mainly gorse and heather.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,The snake since it will have food will revert back to it's wild instinct since it escaped. It can survive on the Vole and Mice and do very well. When cold they find leaf litter ad burrow under it to go into a semi hibernation state, until warm enough to come out and warm up for the day. They will find areas where they can lay and bask to warm up. Snake that have been kept do very well if they do get loose, The never loose the ability to hunt and feed. There is a possibilty the snake will reappear as I have seen that too. They are not like a cat or a dog but will sometime migrate back to where they lived.I am so sorry for the loss, but rest assured his survival chances are excellent in the area you have described. If I have addressed you concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 Stars.Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Just wanted to check and see if you had further concerns about the information supplied. Please let me know if this information has been helpful.Joan