Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).
9138059

We have a springer spaniel, she is nearly 12, over weight,

We have a springer spaniel, she is nearly 12, over weight, goes for walks, given up giving her titbits. After resting she has trouble getting up off her hind legs, once up she is fine. What can I give her to help with any pain she may have
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your girl Maggie. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. From what you have said, it certainly sounds like Maggie probably has a combination of being slightly overweight, along with arthritis and decreased muscle mass (weakness). Good on you for keeping her exercise up, but do make sure it is on soft ground (ie the grass rather than pounding the pavement). Given Maggie's age - she is bound to have quite a degree of degenerative joint disease (arthritis) in a number of her joints. Given her breed - it is likely her hips, stifles (knees), hocks and elbows all have a degree of arthritis. It is also possible she has a degree of spinal arthritis or spondylosis as well which can cause some weakness in the back end as well and this would tie in with her difficulty rising. It sounds like your vet has her on an anti inflammatory for her joints which is great - metacam. Continue with this as prescribed. You can definitely discuss other drugs with your vet such as possibly a pain relief medication like tramadol in combination with it. It would be wise to have a blood tests every 6 months while your girl is on metacam to ensure her kidney and liver function are all normal to ensure she can stay on it with no ill effects long term. You could also start Maggie on some joint supplements (glucosamine, chondroitin etc). As above, make sure you stick to soft ground for walks (the park rather than the pavement) and also consider hydrotherapy to get her moving without impacting her joints. Hydrotherapy is ideal for helping to get some muscle mass back on those legs and most major cities have several canine hydrotherapy centers. The other key issue here is Maggie's weight. If you can get her to lose even just a couple of kg, this may be enough to really assist her ability to rise and exercise. Ask your vet about putting your girl on a weight loss diet like Hill's Metabolic or Royal Canin Satiety. While it would be good if she met her 'ideal weight', that is likely not the goal for her, rather reaching a goal weight that is a few kg less that she is now might be all we need to improve her quality of life and mobility. Definitely also chat with your vet about adding in a drug like Tramadol or 'Gabapentin' ang along with a change of lifestyle and hydrotherapy, you should definitely see an improvement here.I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.