Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Dear Veterinarian. My 6 year old male cat has green eyes but

Dear Veterinarian. My 6 year old male cat has green eyes but over the last year one of his eyes has become increasingly brown around the edge of his iris, still green in the middle. He appears to be very fit and healthy. never any health problems. he eats a mixture of moist and dry cat food. his eye looks absolutely fine otherwise and not bothering him at all. should I be concerned ?
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
There are two possible causes for the color change that you are seeing.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Benign iris melanosis could be a cause. This is just a pigment change, but should still be monitored by a veterinary ophthalmologist because it can become malignant melanoma.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
It could already be melanoma as well. The best way to differentiate these is with an ophthalmologist. They will do a slit lamp exam and gonioscopy. Various problems such as a change to the texture of the iris could indicate melanoma.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
If you would like me to help you locate a veterinary ophthalmologist, you can post back with your city and state. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek. Here is my website if you need to reach me again: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drsusanfriend/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks very much Susan. your information is much appreciated. I'll take my cat to the vet to examine his eye.I'm in the UK. fingers crossed it is and stays benign. bw. Louise.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome Louise! Good luck with your boy!