Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog was confirmed to be carrying 4 pups on Friday following

Customer Question

my dog was confirmed to be carrying 4 pups on Friday following her ultrasound. This is day 31 (4 days later), and I noticed bloody mucous discharge this morning- just a small amount. She has been licking her vulva a lot also. I took her to my vet who examined her and found a little discharge with a green tinge inside her vulva. Her temperature was normal. She said it could be an infection, a miscarriage or nothing. She's been given some antibiotics, and she's to go back in 2 days for a check up, where they may scan her. I was told there would be no benefit to scanning her today.
I'm just looking to understand the likelihood of this being 'nothing' or an infection? At this stage in pregnancy is it more likely to be a miscarriage?
The dog is fine otherwise- a little quiet, but she's been up and down during the pregnancy. Her appetite has increased today, although she is still being a little fussy. Her nipples look a little less pink today also.
In your experience Is this more likely to be a miscarriage than anything else?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. IN my experience of 30+ years, this is normal for Mia to have a small amount of bloody mucous discharge from the vulva. If there is a miscarriage, the cervix will open and there will be a large amount of bloody mucous discharge and since there was ONLY this small amount, I believe that she will not miscarry. It is best, ***** ***** keep Mia very quiet with "bedrest" to keep the cervix from opening. I agree that there is no reason to scan her the next day,....wait a day or so to redo the scan to see how things are developing. In most cases, this is normal at this point of gestation but this does not mean that she will not miscarry...watch her closely and hope that this is normal for her. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Loretta, would it be normal for it to have a greenish colour? the vet said when she looked inside her vulva that it had a green tint?
The green tint is worrisome because this is the color of the discharge after delivery....hopefully, this is only within the vagina and that the cervix is still closed and she can carry the babies to term. 31 days is still quite early so a miscarriage could happen...no way at this point to know for sure. My feeling is , from these years of working with pregnant dogs, she will not miscarry. I could be wrong but the probability is on your side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks Loretta, final query in relation to this (I hope). Is it strange that hre nipples are no longer so pink today - is that just coincidence? If she has miscarried, would they more likely have been reabsorbed at 31 days- which would lead to there being less blood? I'm just curious as to why your gut instinct is that its not miscarriage? I may have been scaremongering myself by looking onlineShe's not going any more walks until she goes back to the vet on Thursday, so will keep her as calm as possible.
It is not strange that the nipples are no longer pink. This is just perception. Her hormones are still thinking that she is pregnant. She would resorb the fetuses in much less than 31 days...if she does miscarry, this will be noticable since the fetuses are larger and the uterus is filled with material to keep the fetuses healthy. Good for you...no more walks...keep her quiet.
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your sweet gal does well! Have a wonderful day!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lovett,I just wanted to let you know thr 4 pups showed on the ultrasound today. It took a while to find the heartbeat of the 4th one, but we did after a little while.
There is still some bloody discharge today, but I'm hopeful that this isn't too negative a sign.Thanks
That is terrific news. Some minor bloody discharge is normal so chnaces are your gal will do fine. Thanks for the update...i was worried for you and your gal.