Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog has a few lumps (various sizes) on his ear that have

My dog has a few lumps (various sizes) on his ear that have grown within the past few days.
I'm concerned about them, just looking for some advice on what they are?
I have taken photos if needed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Any history of trauma to the ear?Are the lumps sore to the touch, soft, hard, or fluidy?Can you post your photos please? To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar to paste them here. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thereI think I've attached photos using the link below; can you see them?They don't seem sore to touch as he doesn't cry or make noise when I touch them. They are quite hard, small lumps.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,I can and will post my thoughts just in a moment.Speak to you soon,Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,Based on your photos, our main suspicions would be an insect bite/sting induced allergic reactions or a mild infection from bacterial infiltration of the skin in this area. Cysts and growths are possible but often don't look this way nor arise in dogs this young.With that in mind, we can try some home treatment at this stage. To start, we can reduce allergic type swelling using antihistamines. Commonly we will use Piriton (Chlorphenamine). A low dose (ie. 4mg every 12 hours) is often enough to reduce these signs over a few days. We do usually like to keep the dose low, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). As well, of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.Furthermore, to reduce swelling, you can also start warm compressing these lumps. This can reduce inflammation as well as encourage hematomas and allergic reactions to settle. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).As well, just to reduce skin bacterial populations, we can also bathe these lumps in a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, salt water , etc). This can be done 2-3 times daily. Of course, if we use the above, but the lump doesn't settle within 24 hours, then it does mean that we need to consider those other less common issues. In that case, the best way to approach an abnormal lump like this is to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear or blood stained fluid is removed, then cysts would be suspect. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the lump can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment. Overall, if Herbie's lumps do not look sinister. Therefore, we'd want to try the above to rule out those common causes for lumps of this nature. Of course, if this doesn’t settle; then we’d want to have your vet sample this lump to identify its cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated to address it for your wee one. All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your help with this.I did forget to mention that it started off with 1 lump (the largest) the first day, then another smaller lump the next day, and today there is lots of little lumps around it as you can see.Does this help any further?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,Unfortunately, that doesn't really narrow it down any further as both infection and allergies can have that type of appearance pattern. That said, it does make cysts or growths even less likely since they tend to remain as one or two that enlarge. So, it does make sinister issues less likely but those other 2 would remain suspects here.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!Rachel
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Rachel.I am glad I could be of help. :)Best wishes to you both,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )