Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Our ragdoll cat has given birth to 4 kittens today she has

Our ragdoll cat has given birth to 4 kittens today she has laid with them for awhile but keeps on getting up and wondering around to see what's going on in the house she is very clingy and wants lots of cuddles is this normal?
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. Congratulations on your new kittens! It's not unusual for new moms to be restless or acting oddly. It's important that the kittens stay warm if Blues isn't spending a good bit of time in the box. It's also important that she spend time laying down so that they can nurse. If she won't nurse them, you may need to start supplementing them with a bottle and kitten milk replacer. Keep a close eye on Blue's appetite and call your vet if she's not eating for more than 24 hours, if she spikes a rectal temperature over 102.5 or she is seeming ill at all. Having babies is a monumental event that is likely to stir up some restlessness and odd behaviors, but the majority of cats settle in a day or two. Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. She stayed with them in the box last night so I presume she fed them. She is eating really well (much more than usual!). Is it ok to let my other cats near? Jazz is her twin sister who tried to get in the box yesterday but I kepted her away and socks is our 11 year old neuter male cat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will the other cats harm the babies? If I keep her sister away (who she is really close with) she will miss her and keep leaving to look for her
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally I've kept the bedroom door shut so she can't leave is this a mistake? Should I let her wonder the house and not worry about the babies?
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I would suggest giving her a bit more time with the babies alone before allowing your other cats in just to be sure. You'll want to closely supervise all their interactions and interrupt any potentially threatening behavior. The majority of cats get along fine, but there's every so often a problem with jealousy, territorialism, or other aggression. Best to tread carefully and move slowly. I'm glad to hear that she's settling in.~Dr. Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience: I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.