Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

My cat is pregnant, very restless not eating but still popping

Customer Question

My cat is pregnant, very restless not eating but still popping lots and very loose. She is very needy and vocal but cannot see any kittens moving but she is huge will she have her kittens soon?
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Barbara, a licensed veterinarian for over 30 years, and I would like to help you and your kitty today.
The normal gestation period for cats is about 63 days. Do you know definitely that she mated about 9 weeks ago, or are you assuming she is pregnant because of her of her swollen abdomen?
The other symptoms you are sharing (loss of appetite, diarrhea, and her abnormal behavior could indicate that she is sick and has ascites (fluid accumulation in her abdomen).
We need to try to determine which is true for her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've taken her to the vet a couple of weeks ago and you can feel the babies
Excellent. . .thank you for your response. Most likely then, her symptoms are due to her body preparing for labor and delivery. Do you see any active laboring or contractions of her her abdominal muscles?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she just won't keep still, her belly is very tight
For how long has she had the symptoms of agitation (not keeping still), anorexia and diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since yesterday afternoon, she is eating but very little but is drinking lots and is very vocal and affectionate
Without any overt contractions but with her other symptoms, I think it is safe to say that she is due to have her kittens, and you could wait just until tomorrow to see what happens. Loss of appetite and agitation are typical as delivery nears.
If she hasn't gone into labor by tomorrow morning, then I recommend that she see your vet tomorrow AM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you think she is close?
That is definitely possible. However, without an exam now, I can't 100% tell you that she is not ill with a disease that is causing ascites. I do think it is safe for you to wait a little longer (18-20 hours) to see what happens.
Hopefully all is still going well, and that you found this information helpful. If you have any further concerns or questions, please let me know. Otherwise, I'd greatly appreciate your rating our chat as this is the only way I receive credit for our conversation.Thank you,Dr Barbara