Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 12 year old boxer/staffy she is in perfect health,

Hi, I have a 12 year old boxer/staffy she is in perfect health, recently she went under anaesthetic for a lump that had got infected, she also had a general MOT, which two teeth were removed and her ears cleaned. A day after the surgery I noticed that she couldn't hear me so I took her back and she was put on an antibiotic but she is totally stone deaf and the vet cannot tell me why this happened, I am at a loss as to what else I can do if anything it has been two weeks now and help would be greatly appreciated
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Acute deafness as you've described is uncommon in dogs and usually acute on chronic; in other words, hearing loss had been progressively occurring and finally reached the point of near or total deafness. We do see idiosyncratic (peculiar) reactions to anesthetic drugs, however, which leave our patients deaf. Ketamine appears to be a common offender. Your dog can be tested for hearing by a specialist veterinary internist who will need to know all of the anesthetic agents used - both the preanesthetics and anesthetics. All products used for her ear cleaning and medicating need to be identified and knowing if her typanums (ear drums) were intact is important as well. Unfortunately, many of these dogs (and cats) do not regain their hearing. Please clarify MOT for me and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your reply, MOT I just meant a general check over this was how they discovered that two teeth needed to be removed. She hadn't had any problems with her hearing infact she was very sound and let me know if anyone was about. I just found this very strange that her hearing totally disappeared, you would find her shaking her head a few times like something is annoying her but her ears are clean, we where given eardrops but these didn't seem to go down into the ear. When I questioned the vet about this he said if he perforated her ear drum she would be holding her head to one side which she isnt
Thank you for the additional information. I was concerned that her eardrums might have been perforated prior to her ears being cleaned. There are cleaning solutions and medicants that shouldn't be introduced into the middle ears. That doesn't appear to be the case, however. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you for your time, I am unsure what cleaning agents where used in her ears while she was under anaesthetic so I have no idea if any solution has gone into the middle ear. am I presuming that seeing it has been a few weeks now and with us massaging her ears that there is nothing more we can do and this is most definitely permanent
Yes, I believe that you're correct. It's unlikely that hearing would return at this late date. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.