Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Is Yakult safe and effective in dogs please.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, Yakult is safe to try with Jeanie if you wish to do so. That said, we do tend to find probiotics specifically designed for the canine gut to be more effective for our dogs if we have GI disturbances. These are available over the counter at vets, pet stores, and even online. Generally speaking, we tend to use Foriflora or there are paste probiotics like Protexin Prokolin, Pro-Kolin Enterogenic, Canikur, Propectalin and Fast Balance.Finally, just to note since you mentioned Propalin, if Jeanie is incontinent this won't be due to any antibiotic treatment and will be unlikely to change with a probiotic. In that case, you'd be best to have a full urinalysis done on a urine sample. This way infection can be ruled out but we can also make sure urine crystals, bladder stones, bladder tumors, nor systemic issues that could dilute her urine (ie diabetes, kidney disease, Cushing's disease, etc) are causing her current signs. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )