Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

We have a ***** *****. It is 8.20pm and normally she is asleep

Customer Question

We have a ***** *****. It is 8.20pm and normally she is asleep on the sofa but she is madly racing round dashing almost and wiping her mouth when she stops.
It looks as if she has eaten something outside on a walk?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Poppy is frantically running around and wiping her mouth/rubbing her face.Does her face look very red and swollen at all? These symptoms can be a sign of nausea but they can also be a sign of oral pain due to an infected tooth or a foreign body caught between her teeth, on the roof of her mouth or in the back of her throat, or eating something bitter or that burned her gums/tongue. Will she let you look in her mouth for any signs of redness or something caught?If these symptoms come along with facial swelling or hives it could be related to an allergic reaction. I do recommend rinsing out her mouth with cool water several times.I know that may have you looked in her mouth but sometimes it takes a very close look under sedation to find the problem. If she will let you examine the inside of her mouth again closely for swelling, reddened areas or any sign or trauma or a foreign body. Make sure to check under her tongue too. You can give her acid reducers to try and settle her stomach in case this is related to nausea. Either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 9 to 20 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours.OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one half of a 20mg tablet per 9 to 20 kilograms of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. These are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary. 10-20 minutes after one of the acid reducers is given you can offer small amounts of water or ice cubes to lick and see how she does. If her face looks swollen or red, or you see hives developing then this is likely related to an allergic reaction. You can give diphenhydramine (don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic for dogs) at a dose of 2mg to 4mg per kilogram or one 25mg capsule per 7 to 15 kilos of body weight orally every 8 hours.If she begins having difficulty breathing then she needs to see a veterinarian on an emergency basis.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****