Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My cat is 22 and she's been having fits all day. She has deteriorated

My cat is 22 and she's been having fits all day. She has deteriorated a lot. My mum is at home with her just now, and they are a long way from a vets. After her fits she has been getting up and eating and drinking still. But now yhe fits are getting more frequent. My mum thinks that she might pass away soon. Is there anything we can do to make her more comfortable? Can we give her Solpadol to help her relax?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your questions about Dusty. I'm so sorry you're going through this difficult situation, but I'm glad you're focused on doing the best you can to ease Dusty's pain. Unfortunately, Solpadol is not likely to help Dusty; it's likely to make things worse. Cats are especially sensitive to one of the ingredients in it, and we expect it to cause more suffering instead of less. (typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
While I understand your desire to ease Dusty's passing, I'm worried about a few different things:Even though I think your assessment is correct and this is a grave situation for Dusty as a 22-year-old cat, I'm worried she may not progress to an unconscious state quickly. I'm worried she may suffer extensively in the meantime. The drugs that *are* effective at providing relief in a situation like this are very tightly controlled. She needs narcotics. The unfortunate reality is that there are not any over-the-counter medications or home remedies that we can expect to be beneficial for her in this state. As an advocate for Dusty's well-being, I feel compelled to tell you the best thing from her point of view would be to have a vet come to the house right away to perform an assessment and - most likely - humane euthanasia. I understand this might not be possible in your situation, but if it is, it is what would be best for Dusty.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Believe me, I understand how awful it is to be in a situation like this, but Solpadol is poisonous to cats and would only make things worse. Does this make sense the way I've explained it? I want to be as helpful as I can while still advocating for Dusty's best interests.Is there anything else I can do to help at this difficult time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, I'm just going to phone my mum
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I want to offer one more bit of information that I hope will give you some peace of mind...
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Seizures (fits) in and of themselves are not supposed to be painful, even though they look terrible. The patient experiencing the seizure is in an altered state of consciousness or even completely unconscious, so even though the body is violently thrashing, they're unaware. Knowing that would provide me some comfort if I were watching my cat go through this.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I hope this information is helpful to you.Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has already given her the solpadene!!! Is there anything else we can do? The nearest vet is a*****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it wasn't solphadiene, it was a sleeping tablet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dusty got put to sleep this morning :-(
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
My heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry for the loss of Dusty, and everything you and your mother went through. In an effort to look for any silver lining, I'm grateful you were able to give Dusty the gift of humane euthanasia. I was dreadfully worried she was going to suffer for a long period of time with frequent seizures before passing on her own. Please rest assured this was a kind, generous, compassionate, and loving thing to do. Please know you are in my thoughts during this difficult time. My condolences.