Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

There! I have a Romanian rescue dog (female, un-neutered

Hi there!
I have a Romanian rescue dog (female, un-neutered approx 1 yr old) that arrived in the uk to be adopted by me and my husband 2 and a half weeks ago.
She's a small cross breed.
When she got here she had a couple of sores/baldy patches on her back - and one in her earlobe and front leg. She now has much more on her back that appear to be joining up - and several all over her neck, tail, hind leg knee, and under her chin. The ones on her back are turning black now (tough skin) and she has secondary infection from licking her front leg.
I've had her to the vet - a skin scrape was done and a few demodex mites were present. The vet gave me an anti biotics for her leg sore, and a doze of Advocate.
I am very anxious about what is wrong as I have been googling for hours and hours. The first thing I thought was demodex mange, obviously.... but I have just found another condition called AlopeciaX (black skin disease).
I am simply looking for advice as this is a new dog and a new vet so I'm really worried.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the photo. It demonstrates epidermal collarettes in different stages of healing. These are roughly circular lesions that start as pustules and spread out in a circular manner. The center quiets down but the rim can stay actively inflamed and infected. Collarettes usually indicate pyoderma - bacterial skin infection (Staph, usually) - but can also indicate fungal infection and autoimmune skin disorders. Pyoderma is commonly associated with demodicosis and so not only Advocate but also a broad spectrum antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin should be on board for at least 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Advocate contains moxidectin, however, which isn't a first choice when addressing demodicosis. Ivermectin, doramectin or milbemycin oxime are preferred drugs. Moxidectin has demonstrated variable efficacy when applied every 2-4 weeks. She doesn't demonstrate alopecia X which causes gradual hair loss of primary hairs progressing to complete alopecia of the neck, tail, caudodorsum, perineum, and caudal thighs. Alopecia eventually becomes generalized over the trunk but the head and front limbs are spared. Hair loss is bilaterally symmetrical, remaining hairs epilate easily, and the alopecic skin may become hyperpigmented, thin, and hypotonic. Mild secondary seborrhea and superficial pyoderma may occur.In summary, I would treat for demodicosis with daily oral ivermectin and cephalexin twice daily. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for that information.
The anti-biotics we started yesterday are called Cephacare which is as you suggested.
So with the dose of advocate and daily cephacare, is there anything else I could be outing on these lesions? Special shampoo I should use?
The one dose of Advocate won't suffice. It may be of value when applied every 2-4 weeks until skin scrapings come negative. Please discuss those other drugs I mentioned with her vet. You needn't treat demodectic lesions with a specific topical but shampooing in a benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo twice weekly will hasten resolution of a pyoderma and bring the mites up to the surface of the skin where they're more easily killed. These shampoos are available over the counter in pet/agricultural merchant stores as well as at her vet hospital. You're quite welcome. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much! I feel a lot more at ease with my vet - she appears to be on the same track as you.... I'm going back next week - actually seeing another vet in the practice as mine is on holiday - so I will see how that goes.
I was in a bit of an anxious state earlier and just needed some reassurance - which you have more than given me. Thanks again!
Linda
It's my pleasure, Linda. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.