Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

There, On Monday evening I took my 5 year old Miniature

Hi there,
On Monday evening I took my 5 year old Miniature Poodle bitch to the park. Another dog (Staffordshire terrier) ran towards her full-tilt and knocked her (we think in the side, certainly with no head collision). She tumbled over completely but got straight up.
She walked home, seemingly with no ill effects.
Yesterday she seemed OK but tried to instigate a game in the house but yelped in pain whilst holding the toy.
Today, in the park she retrieved her toy twice but on the third go (only short distances) she suddenly pulled up clearly in a lot of pain. We did a few more but she got worse so I stopped. We then walked home – seemingly fine.
Whilst wiping her down at home, I lifted her head and she yelped.
She then tried to use the stairs but stopped.
I have checked her all over and there are no visible signs.
When she gets up is reluctant to shake herself holding her tail between her legs and hunching her back. Her posture goes back to normal after a few steps.
Could this be any kind of internal injury? She is eating well and before going to the park today, I didn't notice any issue. She generally pulls on the lead and today did the same. How serious could this issue potentially be?
Many thanks.
Nick
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Pepe's accident....we see this commonly at the dog parks. Most likely Pepe has suffered an injury to a disc in her back or neck as seen by the odd posture. This is very common in older poodles because of their conformation and common with this type of injury at the park. Since Pepe does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for her pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Pepe jumps up or down on something or gets run over by a larger dog. The best thing you can do for now as long as Pepe is eating, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine your sweet gal to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Loretta,
Thank you for the advice.
My only remaining question is for approximately how long should we wait before even considering taking her out to walk (not play obviously) bearing in mind that she substantially pulls on her leash under normal circumstances.
Thanks again.
Nick
HI Nick.... Keep her immobile as possible for 2-3 days. Walk Pepe outside to do her business but if she pulls on the leash, carry her out and carry her back. This will aid her system in stabilizing this disc so as to not make it worse. Does that make more sense, Nick?
Thank you so much, Nick, for your kind rating and generous bonus. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your sweet Pepe feels better soon! Have a wonderful day!