Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Can you help please? I have a kittenwho is 8 months old.

Hi...can you help please? I have a kittenwho is 8 months old. He was fine this morning and ate as normal however he has slept most of the day..and this afternoon, been sick twice. The second time was a yellow liquid. He has been very quiet all day and not interested in eating or drinking.
Can you advise what to do please?
Michelle Cole
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just to add, we live in a country environment near farms etc..his head looks a little swollen
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- I will assume he goes outside, correct? 2- Is the entire face swollen or just one side? 3- Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi.. Yes he does go outside..but not very far. He's quite nervous really. It's his whole face really.. But only slightly swollen. He's just been sick again..still a yellow liquid. He's normally very fussy with me but is growling slightly at me when I go near him. He seems to have perked up a little
I am sorry for the delay in response, for some reason the question did not come to me letting me know you had responded. I am working on your answer, please give me a few more minutes.
Friend, when we see facial swelling this can be caused by many different medical condition. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes are: Trauma (soft tissue swelling), infections (abscess), toxicity (certain medications), allergic reactions, etc. to name a few causes. The vomiting is a consequence of whatever is causing the facial swelling. Unfortunately in this case we are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with a veterinarian. In the meantime this is what you can do: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Benadryl over the counter in any pharmacy. If you can not find benadryl (diphenhydramine) please let me know the names of anti histamines you have available so that I can tell you if you can use it. Please include the milligrams, I will be on for another 4 hours. 2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.