Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog is a 14 yr border collie, recently he has started to

My dog is a 14 yr border collie, recently he has started to cough and hack and his breathing is noisy, but he is alright other than this.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
While any age dog can suffer from a simple respiratory infection that can cause coughing and hacking such as infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough"), I need to consider more serious causes of coughing in a 14 year old such as congestive heart failure, sterile chronic bronchitis (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/COPD), and neoplasia (cancer) in the chest cavity. Your dog's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam paying particular attention to auscultating (listening to) and X-raying your dog's heart and lungs. It's too often a mistake to throw antibiotics at these patients and send them home. X-rays should be considered essential in our coughing geriatric dogs.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.