Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My tibeten spanial is coughing and nbringing up phlem what

Customer Question

my tibeten spanial is coughing and nbringing up phlem what can I do for him
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.I recently came online and see that your question about Benjy hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.I do have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind: 1. How long has Benjy been coughing?2. Is he otherwise acting his normal self or does he have other symptoms such as lethargy or disinterest in eating? Since it looks as if you are currently offline, there may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.Thanks for your patience. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the answers to my questions. I closed the other question since it's a duplicate of this one; I didn't want you to be charged twice. Hopefully, you'll be able to see my response and you can just respond to it here. You don't need to post additional questions although I know the site can be confusing at times. That's good that he's not acting lethargic and is eating. If he's only been coughing for a few days (certainly not for months), then the most common cause is going to be tracheobronchitis (aka Kennel Cough). This condition is either secondary to a viral or bacterial infection and can be contagious between dogs. If a bacterial infection, then these dogs respond to oral antibiotics pretty quickly.But if this is a virus , then it will have to run it's course....which is usually between 10-14days. Kennel cough tends to worsen before it gets better and gradually improves rather than abruptly stopping unless this is a bacterial infection and antibiotics are started.These dogs also tend to cough more when excited, first thing in the morning or when they go outside in the cold (or come back inside where it's warm if they've been outdoors) although not all of them do. There is another condition called Canine influenza or even pneumonia which mimics kennel cough in the early stages but these dogs rapidly become sick. The former condition may or may not be common or prevalent depending on where you live but the latter can be seen regardless of where you reside.There are other causes of coughing in a dog this age such as cardiac issues or a collapsing trachea or even chronic bronchitis but these patients are usually coughing for months and/or are showing other signs such as exercise intolerance. As to over the counter treatment options, cough suppressants can be given although I'm often hesitant to use them if kennel cough is the problem. I want those secretions removed from the upper airways and I rarely want to inhibit this reflex.But acceptable ones to use include Dextromethorphan although I'm not certain if it's available to you in the UK.http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dmThe dose would be 0.25 to 1 mg/lb 2-3 times a day. You just want to double check labels and ensure that the formulations only contain this ingredient although inclusion of Guaifensin is fine. If Benjy becomes lethargic and/or stops eating and/or his cough lasts more than a few weeks, then a vet visit may be prudent. I hope this helps and, again, my apologies for any confusion with how the site works. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,I'm just following up on Benjy. How is he doing? Deb