Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog is on Fludocortisole Acetate 4mcg a day ,

Customer Question

My dog is on Fludocortisole Acetate 4mcg a day for Addisons, my Vet can no longer supply this for less than a £130 per month...is there alternative therapy? I have been paying £28 which is affordable but the increased costs may been I lose my dog.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I checked with my UK colleague who was surprised to hear that fludrocortisone was now difficult to get. In the USA we can't get it at all and rely on the injectable DOCP...which isn't available yet in the UK but according to my colleague will be soon. Jess's vet needs to investigate this for you. For now your additional options are having a prescription for the fludrocortisone in hand and calling human pharmacies for availability and cost; giving a glucocorticoid such as prednisone alone which will suffice if Jess suffers from secondary or atypical hypoadrenocorticism; or having Jess's vet find a veterinary formulating pharmacy which is able to compound the fludrocortisone for Jess.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.