Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a greyhound who torn one of her pads two days ago. It

I have a greyhound who torn one of her pads two days ago. It is the pad up the leg next to the top claw. The pad is sliced open. My dog has some pain but not a lot as she is happy to run on the beach with her friends. The pad is no longer bleeding and I have treated it with iodine and antiseptic powder. Will it heal OK on it's own or will it need a stitch?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that your girl has torn the pad near her dewclaw and you are wondering if it will heal on its own or whether it needs to be sutured.Whether it heals smoothly on its own or not depends upon whether you can keep her from licking it, and whether you can keep it clean so a secondary infection doesn't occur. If those two things are possible it should heal just fine.Stitching pads is often an exercise in futility. We sometimes do so to protect the healing tissue underneath, allowing the torn outer piece to act like a bandaid, but the stitches rarely hold. There's too much movement with a foot. And with a tear the wound is contaminated, so if we suture it we run the risk of sealing in contaminants and bacteria, even with a thorough cleaning/debridement.The good news is that this is not a weight bearing pad, so while it will have some motion as she walks the constant stress and pressure of walking on it isn't a problem.I recommend covering it when she goes outside so it doesn't become further contaminated. Clean it daily with a solution of little warm water and antibacterial liquid soap, then pat dry and apply antibacterial ointment to keep it soft.Pads take a long time to heal, weeks in many cases, but it should heal fine without the need for stitches if she will leave it alone and it doesn't become infected.Please let me know if you have any further questions.