Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog had a lamb bone treat on Sunday. This morning

Customer Question

My dog had a lamb bone for a treat on Sunday. This morning I've noticed her bum is swollen and is struggling to got to the toilet. Could she have a bit of bone stuck
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, that would absolutely be a concern. We can see these signs if bone is partially obstructing the lower gut or shards are caught in the colon wall. As well, it is possible to see anal gland issues present in this way and this can be sore as well.In your lass's case, since we have a bone concern, it would be best to get her to her vet urgently. They can perform a rectal exam, give her pain relief, +/- xray to see if there is a bone stuck and where. If it is only loosely present, then it may be able to be removed manually in the consult room. But if it is tight or there is risk of the gut being damaged, we'd want them to sedate her to do so (+/- an enema or surgery depending on how it is caught).Finally, since this may need sedation to remove anything stuck, we'd want to refrain from feeding her at this point. That way there won't be any delay if that is needed. But again if she had the bone and is not straining, this is a real concern for her and one we'd want seen to as soon as her vet is open. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )