Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cockapoo is pacing around the house and appears quite distressed,

My cockapoo is pacing around the house and appears quite distressed, not able to settle and seems frightened.
This behaviour started about 2 hours ago.
I have taken her out to see if she needs the toilet but she has done nothing and has not been sick either. She also appears to be panting at times.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.I recently came online and see that your question about Florence hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can. It sounds as if she's uncomfortable or in pain although the source of the pain may not necessarily be easy to identify. Possible sources include her gastrointestinal tract (she could have gas, for example), or her back (she might have compression of her spine by a disc). I've even seen some dogs with anal gland issues behave in some odd ways.There can be other reasons why a dog would behave as she's doing but I doubt if her problem is something as simple as being over-heated. She's also on the young side to have issues with her cardiovascular system or her spleen. Regardless, I do have a few suggestions which may be of benefit but won't be harmful for her: 1. Since she's not been vomiting and if she's not currently taking any steroids or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, then Aspirin can be given at a dose of 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day. Try to get her to eat something before you give her the pill.The drug has anti-pain properties which it might be useful in this situation.My only hesitation about its use would be that it might interfere with what your vet would want to prescribe if she has to be seen but several doses should be fine.2. Over the counter anti-gas medications which contain Simethicone (such as Gas-X or Phazyme here in the States) can be given to dogs. The dose is somewhat empiric but approximately 1/4th of what we would take twice a day is what I suggest. 3. If her anals are bothering her, then they may need to be emptied although this is best done by either a groomer or a vet tech unless you've emptied them before (not something most owners want to learn to do!). If she continues to pant and pace for more than 8 hours despite any medications you may have given her, then a vet visit may be prudent.I hope this helps although, again, my profuse apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.
Florence seems much better and had a quiet night she appears more settled this morning.
I will keep an eye on her during today, food, toilet and mood and. See how things go.
Viv
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Viv,You're more than welcome and thanks for responding back with an update.I'm just glad to hear that she appears greatly improved but probably not nearly as happy as you are:) Let's hope that this was just a one-off as they say:) Best of luck with her. Kindest regards, Deb