Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Past fue days my dog has been generally quite and out

For the past fue days my dog has been generally quite and out of sorts. He has also been sick, off his food but not complatly, drinking a lot but also weeing a lot. But today his belly has become swollen and he has not done a poo for a couple of days. When he last went it was very hard and dry. Tonight he is uncomfortable and not sleeping,not in obvious pain but slight and regular lip licking. He just really is not right or himself! Just wondering if he needs to go to the vets first thing in the morning (or now) or can it wait till Monday? I'm very worried about him he is normally a very healthy robust dog he has also just now been very sick
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- What breed is he? 2- Is it fair to say he is drinking more than usual? 3- How long has he been off food? 4- Is he currently on any medications? 5- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Husky x kelpyYes drinking much much more then normalOff food for about 3 days, but having odd nibbleNo medsNo conditions
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Approx 30kg
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. I am a bit concern of the quick onset of abdominal swelling, I don't believe he is constipated as he is not eating. The fact that he is drinking more I suspect the abdominal swelling could be fluid build up (ascites) as a result of any of the above mentioned diseases. It is also important to rule out a bloat (GDV). To determine which of the above is the underlying cause a veterinarian will need to do a physical exam, blood work and xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. Highly recommend having him checked tonight or as soon as you can, most of the above mentioned diseases could have a fatal outcome if not treated promptly. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I phone the out of hrs vet (it's 1am) will they be annoyed at that I'm happy to take him in if that's what he needs I have taken a photo, his sick is rather foamy
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the foam is gastric juice and mucus, this is common when vomiting. The vomiting is a consequence of any of the above mentioned diseases. Friend, they are not going to be annoyed, this is why we are veterinarians. If they offer after hours services I would definitely have him checked tonight if this was my dog. If this is related to fluid build up it is important to identify underlying cause as it could be fatal. For this reason it is best to not wait. Please reply if you have additional questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much! Much apprichaded! I will get on the phone now! Xx
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. :) Keep me posted please. Best of Luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to let you know, it turns out he had late stage liver cancer and had to be put down.thanks for your advise though
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Oh my, I am so sorry to learn he had liver cancer and was put down. I know how difficult this must be for you. I will have you in my thoughts and prayers tonight. Sorry for your loss. Dr. Peter