Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I have an 8 week old puppy who has been bitten on the ear

Hi i have an 8 week old puppy who has been bitten on the ear by her mother, it is not serious there are just 2 scratches however she is in pain and i just wondered if there was anything i could give to her to help relieve the pain until i take her to the vets in the morning?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about your puppy.I'm so sorry this has happened, but glad you're looking for the information you need. I can't tell you how especially happy I am that you're asking *before* giving the puppy anything for pain. We see a lot of unintentionally poisoned dogs in the ER when well-meaning owners try to give human pain medications. Here's the straight story: please avoid the temptation to give any human or other over-the-counter pain medications to your puppy. They are far more likely to do harm than give any relief. Ice is always a safe bet, and can provide tremendous anti-inflammatory effects, if she'll tolerate it. If she won't, it's also okay to do nothing. In the grand scheme of things, this should be a relatively minor source of pain. If she is acting really, really uncomfortable for a long time, I'd be suspicious that something else is going on. Otherwise, hugs are much better than drugs for a minor injury. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ill try the ice and see if she lets me do it.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes a pack of frozen peas makes a good ice pack. That's worth a try, too. Be sure to place a thin washcloth between the ice and her skin to avoid skin damage. Also, with a puppy this age, a little distraction can go a long way. Try taking her for a walk, a car ride, or some other favorite activity.