Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 4 and a half year old ddb has developed a limp on his

Hi my 4 and a half year old ddb has developed a limp on his right back leg, shows no sign of being in pain when walking, is still eating and drinking and happy within himself. I've moved his joint around and he's content to let me do this. I'm at a loss as to why he's limping though. No sign of injury
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Can you confirm that there are no swellings, wounds, areas of soreness, or instability?How long has he had this limp?Is it worst when rising and warms with exercise? Or is it worse with exercise?Can he weight bear at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no sign of injury and no swelling, he is weight bearing but it seems to stay the same throughout the day. He's been like this 4 days now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** am glad to hear that he is weight bearing and able to use the leg. This makes issues like hip dislocation, fractures, as well as nerve or spinal issues less likely. As well, underlying issues like hip dysplasia would be a concern but hopefully less likely if this is the first sign of issue. So, with those aside and based on your lad's history, our top suspicions here would be partial tendon tears or a muscle or tendon strain. In regards ***** ***** to this situation, you will want to restrict activity and perhaps just have short lead walks to do his business a few times daily for the next week to give him proper rest time for this leg. As well, if he is amenable, you can consider massagging or warm compressing the area. If you don't have a warm compress on hand, you can make a microwaveable one by filling a sock 2/3rd full with rice and popping it in the microwave for a few minutes (of course, do give it a shake afterwards to distribute the heat and make sure its not too warm before use).As well, since he isn't painful, you can consider some supplements to naturally reduce inflammation and support his joints. For example, you can consider supplementing him with fish oil (omega 3 or 6; EPA/DHA) and/or glucosamine/chondroitin. In regards ***** ***** fish oil, these can be helpful as they do have anti-inflammatory properties. In regards ***** ***** we tend to give this at a rate of 20mg per pound of their body weight. And while more a long term option, it could just help soothe his inflammation and get him more comfortable quicker. Furthermore, you can use glucosamine/chondroitin here. These are a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). They work to aid joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, these would be worth consideration for him. Otherwise, we could also use a mild anti-inflammatory like a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose@ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin). Of course, this needs to be given after food and we'd want to double check with his vet if he has any known health issues or is on any other medication.Finally, if you rest him and try the above but we are not seeing positive progress over the next few days, then we'd want to follow up with his vet. They can check the leg for those above concerns and dispense dog safe pain relief/anti-inflammatory medication (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox, etc) to reduce any inflammation present and get him using the leg properly again sooner.Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )