Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat started vomiting a lot 4 days ago, had dark blood

Customer Question

Hello my cat started vomiting a lot 4 days ago, had dark blood in stools, hasn't eaten for 4 day (absolutely nothing) and hasn't deal for 2 days... She is sleeping a lot and very lethargic, seems to be going down hill.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant to say hasn't drank any water do 2 days*
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took her to the vet today and he said to starve her for 24 hours and seemed unsure what was wrong, I feel like he totally didn't hear that she already hasn't eaten for 4 days and just brushed my off. He gave her an antibiotic injection (incase she has an infection) just as a whim because he didn't know what's wrong...
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Both you and I know that a recommendation to starve a dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced critically ill cat is ridiculous. Please find another vet who will hospitalize her and provide supportive care in the form of IV fluids until the results of diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests return and clarify why she has become so ill. Her symptoms are important but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. How old is she, please? Is she allowed outside? Does she have a medical history which might be related to her current behavior?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is a kitten - 6 months old, doesn't go outside, has been medically totally well before this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet said to starve her but syringe her water which I have tried, she got a tiny bit, shall I try syringe feeding her blended food?
Yes, that would be ideal. Such a 6 month old, if unvaccinated, should be considered to be suffering from feline panleukopenia and testing for feline leukemia (FeLV) and feline immunosuppressive virus (FIV) should be part of her diagnostic panel of tests. Feline panleukopenia (feline distemper) is too often fatal at her age. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry she's 9 months not 6 and she has been vaccinated
Thank you. Do you know if FeLV/FIV testing were performed prior to or soon after you obtained her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't think they were... Pretty sure they weren't, the person we got her off didn't mention it.
Thank you. You're necessarily constrained to force-feeding/fluids (an infant fluid replacer such as Pedialyte, e.g.) at home. As mentioned above, I would prefer that she be hospitalized on supportive care and tested for those viruses as part of a basic diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests.