Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 8 month old Springer Spaniel tends to still need to go out

My 8 month old Springer Spaniel tends to still need to go out for a poo at night. She can last about 6 hours. Occasionally she has lasted the full 8 hours, but not often. Should I be taking her to the vet for a check-up?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Was she making it during the night at any stage?Are her stools firm or soft?How is she otherwise? Eating/drinking well, active, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Yes, occasionally she does make it through the night. Her stools are generally firm, good smell, and a colour that matches what she eats. I am an experienced raw feeder (Natural Instinct). She has only ever had a raw diet. My next experiment is to try out different meats. I suspect that she may last longer at night with chicken. I have been using turkey from time to time as an alternative 'light' meat, but it could be that. In every other respect she is extremely well. I do wonder if her slimness (she is not thin) is due to her high energy levels and the way she hares about when on a walk. My concerns stem from the fact that one of her siblings died a couple of months ago. He had gone to Switzerland to train as a S&R dog, but an ultrasound on the day he died revealed that all his organs were "out". Due to the language barrier I couldn't get any other expansion on what they meant. He had had diarrhoea beforehand and it sounds like he went from a bright active dog to a more lethargic one in the space of a few days. Hence I'm probably more anxious about things than I would have been otherwise. But 8 months still seems a long time for toilet training. My other two (including her mother) were toilet trained by about 4 months.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,First, at this age and with this breed, her slim body condition isn't unexpected and doesn't tend to be a worry at all. In fact, since pet obesity is so commonplace, people often mistakenly assume these dogs are underweight when they are actually in peak condition and how they should be. So, as long as she isn't losing weight, we'd not be worried about that. Otherwise, that is a shame about her brother though "out" is a difficult term to interpret. I can only assume they meant organ failure since the history doesn't support a rupture or traumatic damage that could "out" organs from their appropriate locations. With those aside, this just sounds like she may have a quicker gut transit time then is ideal. Since it isn't a constant issue every night, this is less likely to be behavioural. Therefore, you can try the chicken to see if she digests it better and thus has less to pass overnight. Otherwise, I would suggest increasing her dietary fiber intake. Fiber helps with fecal regularity and slows fecal movement within the gut. So, if we increase her fiber intake (ie adding veggies, brown rice, Weetabix, or a Prokolin fiber supplement that you can get OTC at most vets), we'd hope to help her get through this. Alternatively, if her stools were a bit soft, we could also use an OTC supplement like Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber. These are used to normalize stool and have a probiotic to ensure optimum gut health. Overall, this doesn't sound health related since those stools are as they should be. As well, if she can make it through some nights, this is less likely to be behavioural/training related. So, in this situation, we'd still want to work on her toilet training but also consider the above to slow fecal transit and see if we can get her making it through the night. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )