Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Our 6 - 9 month kitten seems to be allergic to dry food he

our 6 - 9 month kitten seems to be allergic to dry food he had dierrha we put him on wet food only which solved the problem. He was always a hungry cat but after having him neutered he become much worse begging for food and nipping at us all the time jumping on meals when served and even at the washing up. We tried appetite control food which solved the constant want for food but the diarrhoea returned. So we tried Gluton free sensitive stomach food however he still has the diarrhoea any ideas
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. If he has shown gut sensitivity to dry foods, then it is quite possible that the high carbohydrate levels or a shared ingredient in the food isn't agreeing with him. Therefore, canned food is a reasonable option for him. Otherwise, you could try him with an easily digestible dry diet (ie Royal Canin Sensitivity Control or Gastrointestinal, Hill's I/D or Z/D, Purina EN, Eukanuba Low residue, etc) that are designed for sensitive guts in cats like him. Or I would note that Royal Canin's Satiety diet does come in a wet form and that could cover both our bases.Otherwise, if he doesn't respond to those diets, we'd want to consider potentially bulking up his current canned food by increasing in fiber intake (ie adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin, a 0.25 teaspoon of Benefiber, etc). Fiber often increases satiety and also bulks up loose stools. So, this can help with both issues. As well, since he does have a sensitive gut I would just mention that you will want to limit treats and also make sure that any diet change you make is slowly weaned over as that can cause diarrhea too.Furthermore, since diarrhea can be related to gut microflora imbalance, we'd also want to consider a probiotic (ie Fortiflora) for him. This is available over the counter and can just help keep the gut settled. As well, if we did see loose stools again, then a combination product (probiotic/anti-diarrheal) like Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, or Protexin Pro-Fiber would be other supplements that could be of benefit here. And do make sure he is up to date with worming to rule that out as playing a partial role here. Overall, we would want to consider the above steps with regards ***** ***** a diet his gut can tolerate. Otherwise, while doing so, he needs behavior training in regards ***** ***** nipping and food theft. So, he needs to be excluded from the room you eat dinner in and when washing up. As well, any inappropriate nipping should be addressed with a time out (which he may have to have them repeatedly at first to get the message through his kitty head) to help him understand that that is not acceptable. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )