Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Our 10 week old Labrador puppy came to us, at 8 weeks, having

Our 10 week old Labrador puppy came to us, at 8 weeks, having had a skin irritation for which their vet prescribed antibiotics. Subsequently the puppy has had persistent diarrhoea sometimes with signs of blood. Would he benefit from some acidophilus? He is otherwise thriving, putting on weight and lively. It is just distressing seeing him straining mucus with blood in it, although we now have him on his puppy dried food with cooked kale and broccoli and that seems to be helping the formation of the stools.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This diarrhea is most likely caused by the lack of good bacteria that was killed off by the antibiotics. I am not concerned about the blood because diarrhea causes irritation of the rectal mucosa causing small blood vessels to break and bleed. This will resolve once the diarrhea is under control. You are doing well using fiber to help with the diarrhea and Acidophilus can be useful to replenish the good bacteria. It is available at the pet store in powder and pills and is dosed according to the label. The dose would be 20 million to 500 million organisms daily. Pepto Bismol at 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of Bailey's weight every 8 hrs can help also. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your sweet little Bailey feels better soon! Have a wonderful day!