Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog got me up this morning at five o'clock to go out

Hi my dog got me up this morning at five o'clock to go out side since then he as been sick a couple of times bringing up grass and brown liquid he as been lying around all day no food
Just a little water now just lying and feels a little cold
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Does the brown liquid look like his dog food or coffee ground type material?Can he keep water down?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?Has he had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just brown liquid
Yes the little water he drank
Gums are black always have been moist
No bones
No diarrhoea light yellow and brown stool
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Are his gums normally that color? If they are, can you roll his eyelid down and let me know if that is rosy pink?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I have not heard back from you about his gums, so I will post my thoughts at this stage.First, his laying down and lack of appetite are not surprising. All of his signs support significant nausea. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). With this all in mind, as long as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Calcium carbonate (60-120mg every 8-12 hours). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I'd note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. Though if he does steady, we can then tempt him with small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet. Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on Samir's hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. Therefore, as long as his gums are normally black and he has had no toxic ingestions, we can try the above to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, Samir's vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help but I got that
Concerned l put him in the car and
Ran him to a 24hr vet he said the
Same as your advice and gave him
a shot to stop the diarrhoea thanks again
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,I am glad that they didn't find anything more worrisome and that he is now on treatment.All the best,Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )