Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat was fitting with other cat 2 days ago and since yesterday

My cat was fitting with other cat 2 days ago and since yesterday I've noticed that he's eye is bit swollen and area around his eye is bit red. Is there any way I can treat him at home?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow was fighting with another cat and now has a red, swollen area around his eye. The two may or may not be directly related. Yes there could have been an injury during the fight, but cats that go outdoors and come in contact with other kitties get exposed to all sorts of viruses and skin parasites (fleas and mites) too. So with this sort of history the most likely possible causes include a foreign body in his eye, a scratch of the clear outer part of his eye (the cornea) or an upper respiratory infection that is primarily affecting his eye.I would keep him indoors if he normally goes outside until his eye is back to normal for several reasons, including he cannot see normally and if this is an infection or a scratch bright sunlight will make it more painful and getting dust and dirt in it will make it worse. Ideally he would see his veterinarian as eyes are delicate structures and can quickly become infected which can lead to loss of vision. I realize that you are hoping to avoid that so I will give you some things to do to make him more comfortable, but if he seems to be worsening then I highly recommend that you can get him seen by a local veterinarian. I recommend flushing the tearing eye copiously with sterile saline which you can purchase over the counter at any drug store. This can help remove any foreign body irritants (like a grass awn or pollens) and should make his eye more comfortable.Then place artificial tears into his eye every hour or two to keep it hydrated and more comfortable.Then you can apply a small amount of Polysporin ointment (only use a new tube so that no bacteria are introduced into the eye) 3 to 4 times daily to his eye to help prevent a secondary bacterial infection. Only do this after flushing the eye as if there is a foreign body in it ointment can cause the foreign body to stick in the eye. All of these things, sterile saline, artificial tears can be bought over the counter at the drug store. Polysporin is also available at the drug store. If he is rubbing his eye place an elizabethan collar so he doesn't cause any secondary damage. If he isn't much better in 24-48 hours then have his eye checked by his veterinarian as soon as possible. But if his eye looks almost normal in the next couple of days continue to keep him indoors, continue the artificial tears and Polysporin for another 5 to 7 days and watch him closely for a relapse. If both eyes become affected then an upper respiratory infection and/or blocked tear ducts are most likely the cause, especially if he has been sneezing too.An upper respiratory infection in cats is just like a cold in you and I, and these are commonly caused by a virus, the most common one being Herpes virus. These are easily caught by breathing in virus particles in the air from a sneeze or nasal or eye discharge. In some cats they become a chronic condition leading to nasal congestion that comes and goes or blocked tear dusts from the inflammation. You can give him an amino acid supplement called L-lysine at a dose of 500mg orally twice daily. If this is caused by an infection and the infection is due to Herpes this should help. This amino acid interferes with virus replication and will shorten the infection's duration and severity. Good supplements to try are made by the Viralys brand which comes in a powder to add to the food or a tasty gel. You can find these online, at some pet stores or from your veterinarian. If that doesn't work then he really needs a veterinary examination to determine why his eye is so swollen and uncomfortable. Best of luck with your fellow, let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you very much for your advice. I believe that will help.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
You are very welcome, my best to your kitty.
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.