Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

MY 8 MONTH OLD BUDGIE HAS VERY LOOSE/WET DROPPINGS IS THERE

Customer Question

MY 8 MONTH OLD BUDGIE HAS VERY LOOSE/WET DROPPINGS IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO OR GIVE IT TO STOP THIS
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today. Now we need to tread with care with your wee one. Diarrhea can quickly lead to dehydration and weight loss in our birds. And if this hasn't settled with removal of the greens, then an infection based diarrhea is a real concern. So you will be limited in what you can do at home since OTC antibiotics are rarely effective at all. Instead our best home care option would be to start a probiotic ( ie avipro plus), consider a giving a small dose of Kaolin, and feeding not just seed ( it would be better to use a more balanced pelleted feed or even zupreem hand feeding formula if Cookie has a poor appetite).Otherwise if Cookie's diarrhea doesn't settle with the above support, we'd need to have him and a stool sample analysed by your local avain vet. That way we can identify the cause of this and appropriate treatment can be started to clear this beforenit makes Cookie feel unwell.Please take care Dr. B