Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog has had lumps come up.on nose and head which he is sratching

My dog has had lumps come up.on nose and head which he is sratching and making them weep . Noticed he had some on his belly . Looked like nettle stings but the lumps on head are weeping clear were he won't stop scratching . Can I ease itching as it looks inflamed .
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has Gizzy had this issue?Are the heads of the lumps white like pimples?Can you take a photo of this? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have sent file
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Now these lumps do raise some concerns. The most common reasons for what we are seeing would be an allergic reaction to something he has been in contact with or a possible skin based infection. As well, though less commonly, we can see these kinds of skin changes with autoimmune conditions (ie lupus).With this all in mind and since this is being worsened by his self-trauma, we can try to address any allergic causes for this. To do so, we can try him on an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Piriton/Chlorphenamine ( 4-8mg every 12 hours) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We do like to keep the dose low to start since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.As well, we can plan to cleanse the area with a mild anti-septic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, salt water) to help with any infections agent. And since it is very itchy, we can follow that with a thin coating of OTC hydrocortisone cream on the inflamed skin. Of course, since he is likely making this worse as he bothers the area, we can also plan to use an e-collar to block his access to this.Overall, his nose inflammation does look quite severe and raises some serious concerns. So, we can use the above tonight to soothe this for Grizzy but if it is not settling or you see pus, we'd want to have his local vet check the area once they are open to pinpoint which issue is present and get him onto treatment to settle this. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )