Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My darling little Boston boy has been ill 11 days.

Customer Question

My darling little Boston boy has been ill for about 11 days. He has been to our vet 9 times in the eleven days. He was vomiting only in the mornings, yellow frothy bile, he refused food, would look interested but shy away. There has been no diarrhoea, in fact he only passed a fairly normal stool once in all that time. He had daily antibiotic injections, X-rays which showed only a lot of gas, blood work which was fairly normal, normal temperature every visit.
Apart from refusing food he appears a little better ie he does greet anyone who calls where before he just stayed in his bed. He has lost 2kg which is quite a lot as he only weighed 10 KGS. The vet now thinks the only way forward is to operate to see if that shows up anything. I am worried as I feel it may put him backwords. I have been managing to get very tiny amounts of food into him by liquidising food and giving it by syringe but he is not happy. Is that the right thing to do? I do hope you have some insight as he is so precious to us. Many thanks Helen Parkin
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear this about Charlie. Rather than an exploratory I would consider the less invasive ultrasound of his abdomen followed by scoping and biopsy of his gastrointestinal tract if ultrasound weren't informative enough. Can you upload a copy of Charlie's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Charlie's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ i not only review the test results but note which tests should have been performed but weren't.