Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 14month old terrier cross is being treated parasite

Customer Question

My 14month old terrier cross is being treated for a parasite after recurring colitis. She is on Trimacare 80 twice a day, but is drinking excessively, a bit under the weather generally, and then after 7 days started being sick and had a bout of projectile diarrhoea. I looked up the Trimacare online and I think she is being massively overdosed, she only weighs 6kg, the recommendation is 1 Trimacare 80 per 16kg of weight a day and only for 5 days. She is on 2 a day for 21 days, have my vets made an awful mistake?
Please help.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There is significant controversy regarding the frequency of dosing of sulfa/trimethoprim combinations. The following doses are for combined amounts of trimethoprim/sulfa:For susceptible bacterial infections: 30 mg/kg once daily...180 mg once daily for her (alternatively, especially in severe infections, the intial dose may be followed by 15 mg/kg every 12 hours...90 mg twice daily for her)For uncomplicated urinary tract infection: 15 mg/kg every 12 hoursFor parasitic diseases...Neosporosis: 15 - 20 mg/kg every 12 hours for 4 weeksToxoplasmosis: 15 mg/kg every 12 2hours for 4 weeksPneumocystosis: 30 mg/kg every 12 hours for 3 weeksFor American Canine Hepatozoonosis: 15 mg/kg every 12 hours for 2 weeksWe do have to consider idiosyncratic (peculiar) reactions to this combination antibiotic and so if she's not tolerating the drug it should be discontinued even if dosing is appropriate. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.