Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have an 8 year old Male Bengal cat with CKD. He

I have an 8 year old Male Bengal cat with CKD.
He still has a stubborn UTI (lab analysis shows ecoli as well as crystals)
We have tried Noroclav(Synulox) and Baytril but the infection remains.
He is currently on fortekor for the CKD.
Is it safe to give him apple cider vinegar? (planning on using a 4 to 1 ratio with water)
Is it safe to give him d-mannose?
I am concerned about either (especially the vinegar) negating the effectiveness of the fortekor.
Also, could I mix the vinegar with the d-mannose? Again I am concerned about the vinegar possibly negating the d-mannose which is a sugar. Whilst that might not cause a problem, I want to give the d-mannose a fair go at helping rather than it being somehow broken down too early and therefore never knowing whether it might have worked.
Many Thanks,
Tim.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Tim, it's safe to administer apple cider vinegar to Jurgen but there's no reason to believe that it would be of value. The vinegar is composed of acetic acid - a weak acid. When added to the stronger hydrochloric acid in the stomach it simply dilutes that acid raising the stomach pH slightly. It can't reach the kidneys in its original form. The benefit of apple cider vinegar when addressing urinary tract infections should be circumspect and considered an old wives' tail.D-mannose, however, might prevent certain kinds of bacteria from sticking to the walls of the urinary tract and causing infection. Certain E.coli were found to be detached from the urinary bladder walls in the presence of d-mannose. We don't have any scholarly studies indicating reliable efficacy of d-mannose but it won't be dangerous. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you most kindly for you're response.Tim.
You're welcome, Tim. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.