Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Every two to three weeks, after eating, my labrador is sick.

every two to three weeks, after eating, my labrador is sick. Not immediately but about 4 or 5 hours later. After eating she becomes obviously uncomfortable, licks her lips a lot and moves about the house until I let her out so she can eat masses of grass. A few hours later she will be sick. It is very dark brown with no identifying food in it apart from the grass. This has been happening for several months. She is otherwise in extremely good condition, and her usual happy playful self. Any ideas
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with Beluga. These are dogs suffering from a chronic pancreatitis, gall bladder disease, or, less commonly, a food intolerance. Both the pancreas and gall bladder become more active in the presence of food. If those organs are already inflamed, after eating, my patient becomes painful and symptomatic as you described - uncomfortable, licking her lips (nausea/gastroesophageal reflux/GERD/acid reflux), and wanting to ingest nondigestible greens which appears to be of evolutionary benefit because it induces vomiting as you've seen. Vomiting rids the stomach of nondigestibles and infectious agents. Administering an over the counter antacid such as PepsidTwo at a dose of 0.5 mg/kg of the famotidine in that antacid when she first becomes symptomatic should be helpful. Her vet will want to thoroughly examine Beluga including performing a gastrointestinal diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests which includes a specCPL blood test which is the most sensitive for detecting the presence of pancreatitis. An abdominal ultrasound might be recommended if blood tests reveal nothing untoward which might be the case if primary gall bladder disease is present.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.