Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Our 16 year old cat is drinking loads (has been for

Hello, our 16 year old cat is drinking loads (has been for about a year) but has suddenly stopped eating a few days ago. My mother gave her a bowl of treats which she did eat yesterday but she wont eat normally. She is fine in herself otherwise, running up and downstairs playing with her toys and being chatty as usual. We are really worried as online seems to suggest it is kidney failure. We have booked an appt for Saturday when I am back home but should we bring it forward?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now I share your concern about your lass.At her age and with her increased thirst, I do suspect that her appetite decline is related to an underlying issue coming to a head here. Kidney disease would be a major concern but we could also see all of this with liver disease, diabetes, thyroid disease, and even cancer. Furthermore, while it'd not change her thirst, we could also see appetite loss related to dental disease and/or oral discomfort (where kidney disease can cause oral ulcers that put cats off eating. Now in regards ***** ***** question, I would advise moving up her appointment. Cats are not designed to be off food and if she isn't eating properly there is real risk of secondary liver issues (fatty liver syndrome) developing and making it even more difficult to get her eating. So, it is best to have her seen once her vet is open. They can check bloods to pinpoint which is present and depending on those findings start treatment to manage this and appetite stimulants to get her eating for us properly.Finally until she is seen, we do need o keep tempting her to eat. Treats aren't ideal since they tend to be very salty and fatty, so I would suggest also trying boiled chicken, white fish or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). Otherwise, we can tempt or syringe feed with watered down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned kitten food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in until she can be seen. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )